20/20 questions with Dapper & Suave
Updated: May 19
This year I will be sharing more about the people behind the product and getting to know more about them and their business.
I was inspired by the Vogue 73 questions so here are my 20 questions ....
1. Who are you, and what type of business do you run?
Rob and Jason - we hand make lapel flowers, bow ties, ties and pocket squares. We also stock vintage bow ties.
2. What is the name of your business and how did you come up with it?
Dapper & Suave - our best friend mentioned it on a Facebook post and it sparked an idea.
3. Why did you start your business? We love mixing vintage and high street and having our own look. This has been a way to customise that look and to learn new skills and creativity.
4. How old is your business ? 5 years in November
5. If you had to pick 3 words to describe your business what would they be ?
Your Own Style
6. Are you formally trained or self trained ?
Self trained - Youtube!
7. What was the first piece you made and how long did it take?
Lapel Flower - 2 hours!
8. Where did you sell your first piece?
Outside of friends supporting our new venture; Wintershall Rock concert - to Demi Moore!
9. Do you have an online shop, and if so do you prefer selling online or in person?
We have an online Etsy shop which links to our website. In person is great because you can share your passion really easily and help to customise. Translating that to online helps us sell overseas to USA and Europe but it is harder than in person.
10. What’s your favourite thing to make? Bow Ties! There is something about the geometry and creating something 3 dimensional
11. Is there anything new you are adding or doing this year
We have just added Kansashi flowers (small Japanese origami style flowers) and updates on our quirky taste in designs!
12. How do you keep your creative skills fresh? We've had real fun in the last year getting involved with styled shoots. We've created a one off moss bow tie, flower petal bow tie and feather front and lapel flower front shirts.
13. How do you work? Do you have a dedicated workspace? It all started at the kitchen table (a family heirloom) and we have a workshop room to hide it all away. We also picked up a marble topped table close to an event we did which is now the sewing machine table!
14. Where do you find inspiration? Old and new fashion magazines; Pinterest; Instagram - everywhere really.
15. What’s been your favourite customer feedback?
That some men still take pride in their appearance and great that someone does what we do
16. What are you most proud of that you’ve made ? That moss bow tie - it shouldn't have worked but it did. And it still looks great almost a year on!
17. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given by someone? Enjoy the extra things you add into your life. If you're not enjoying them, reinvent or move on.
18. What’s the one piece of advice you would give someone starting up?
Be brave and get your products in front of real customers - you'll learn a lot about if this is just a pipe dream or a reality (and if you are charging the right price!) It's scary but worth it!
19. Where can customers find you this year ?
We've already been at Gate St Barn Wedding Open Day, and will be at Pippfest in September, and Handpicked for Dorking Autumn and Christmas event.
20. What is it you like about Handpicked ? Creating and crafting can be a solitary experience. Handpicked gives us a family of other creative gurus to bounce off and learn from. The events are always well organised and Jason's passion and attention to detail make him great to work with.
You can find out more about Dapper & Suave on the Creative Guru Directory
Thanks for reading!
More 20/20 questions to follow...